January 18, 2012

{En}courage not {Dis}courage {In the Word Wednesday}

This is one of my favorite parenting verses... it comes to my mind very often unfortunately.  I say unfortunately because it comes to my mind when I am exhasperating my children. Following the thoughts from Stephanie I've also included a few different versions of the verse, each gives a different description of "Provoking" and "Discouraged".



From the MOB Society, written by Stephanie

At the end of the day do you ever sit and evaluate the day?

How  were the kids? How was your attitude? How many times did you raise your voice? How many times did you say the word “No”? For me it’s too many to mention. I know sad huh?

What about how many times you said, thank you, for a deed that does get accomplished?  Telling them they did a great job?

Something I have noticed, is lack of encouragement.

We make sure we tell the kids when they are not listening. We point out bad attitudes. We teach that being mean to siblings is not nice.We tell them many times how important it is to take care of their things.

I notice a difference the days when I am so nit picky.”Why didn’t you do this? ” You shouldn’t do it that way you should do it this way!” “It’s too noisy in here, be quiet!”

The kids seem so discouraged. This does not go over well.

“Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.” Colossians 3:21 esv

I am making it a priority to be positive! I am not saying not to correct when correction is needed. I am saying to encourage.

Thank You!
Great Job!
You are a big helper!
The smiles that appear is worth it all.
Love those happy hearts.

What area can you find to encourage your [children]?


Fathers, do not provoke or irritate or fret your children [do not be hard on them or harass them], lest they become discouraged and sullen and morose and feel inferior and frustrated. [Do not break their spirit.] (Amplified Bible)

Parents, don’t provoke your children in a way that ends up discouraging them (Common English Bible)

Fathers, do not be so hard on your children that they will give up trying to do what is right. (New Life Version)

Parents, don't come down too hard on your children or you'll crush their spirits. (The Message)

Fathers, do not exasperate your children, so that they will not lose heart. (New American Standard Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment