January 20, 2012

Don't carpe diem??

Have you seen this blog post circulating on the internet (particularly facebook)?  Have you read it?  And, more importantly, what did you think about it?  Were you nodding your head in agreement at every word?  or were  you thinking, "How can anyone not enjoy every moment of this wonderful journey"? 

I have no problem admitting that I was very much in agreement.  I remember the week after my youngest was born.  I felt like all of the life had been sucked out of me.  She did not sleep... that is, unless she was being held very tightly.  I couldn't shower without listening to a screaming baby, and even if someone took her down to the deepest, darkest corner of the basement, a mother can still hear adn feel the screaming.  I vividly remember one day, when she was a month or two old (I think) that she actually fell asleep NOT in my arms.  Granted it was on the couch right next to me, but the fact that she wasn't being held meant that I might possibly have the opportunity to get up and do something, without the baby.  But, I didn't.  I didn't dare move away from her.  Because I knew she would wake up. I knew as soon as she sensed I was gone she would start wailing again. 

And, quite honestly, I couldn't bare to hold her anymore right then.  Out of my four kids, she was the hardest.  Although, if you ask my husband, both of my girls were pretty difficult.  But, you see, time has passed and I don't remember it as vividly with my older daughter as I do with my terror youngest.

Life is getting easier.  Every day.  There are still days that I look at my kids and want to scream, or when they are finally all in bed and I collapse in bed myself, not quite daring to go to sleep because I feel like I might be wasting their sleeping hours by sleeping myself, but knowing on the other hand that I needed to just rest.  There are days that the life is sucked out of me, that I just can't bare to hear another word about Dora or Star Wars or fashion, or some basketball play I know nothing about.

For the most part though, they make me laugh.  They make me smile.  I look at them with pride.  They bring me joy.  They always have.  Even on the most difficult of days.  Just because I can't enjoy them every minute of every day doesn't mean I love them any less.  **  I love them immensly.  With every ounce of my heart.  They are the reason I am who I am.  I just know all to well that not every moment can be enjoyed, even if time goes fast.    I'm not sure if anyone can.  But please, let me know if you are a mom that can enjoy even roughest of moments, and then let me know how!  :)

Here are a couple of other responses to read to this article:
But I want To Carpe Diem
Enjoy Every Moment

** This indicates a pause in my typing to yell to tell my kids to quit fighting. 

** These thoughts and ideas are the ideas of me and me alone, not necessarily of the M-LIFE group**

And, while your reading... check this post out from the same blog.  Refreshingly honest.  Do you ever think that someone has it all together?  That they are perfect?  That thier kids are perfect?  Humph.  No one does!

No comments:

Post a Comment