May 17, 2012

It worked for me - laundry

It's another "it worked for me" installment, from me.

Laundry.  Need I say more?  For most people I know (especially mothers and fathers of multiple children), this is a dreaded chore.  Although I've come to realize that each person has a different part that they dread the most.  Some hate the whole process, some hate sorting and washing, some hate folding, and most hate putting away.  Any of these can lead to enormous amounts of dirty laundry, or living out of laundry baskets, either filled with clean folded clothes or clean clothes "three days fresh" from the dryer.  I'm not even going to mention ironing, wee, because, I just don't iron.  

For myself I don't mind doing the laundry (we quit sorting laundry one child and 3 years ago, it just all goes in together, unless I notice a really big influx of new red stuff, then that gets a load of its own, typically just the first time though).  Anyway.  Moving on.  I dread folding and putting laundry away.  It's One of my top 10 most dreaded house chores.

Inevitably I end up with a rather large pile of dirty laundry (the three year old could be hiding in there and I would never know, large).  Then there is always that day week when I have to catch up.  And then nothing gets put away and most of it gets put back in the dirty clothes because  no one wants to take care of the mess 
of laundry... And the cycle continues.

BUT NOT ANYMORE!

There is a new laundry system in town, and so far, it's working for me!


This is hanging in my laundry room.  Everyone has a laundry day.  There are six of us, I've combined the youngest kids (they share a room anyway), so that means I have to do clothing laundry five days a week and then the sixth day is towels, sheets etc.  keep in mind that since I don't sort, this is about 1-2 loads a day and often for the second load I can get towels in to and have very little to do besides sheets on Friday.  

Each person is responsible to have their laundry in the laundry room the morning of their day, I will do my best to get the laundry done that day, but if for some reason  I don't feel like it have time, most of them are perfectly capable of doing the laundry themselves.  If I do do the laundry, it comes out of the dryer and goes in a basket that they can shove into their closets and dresser drawers fold neatly and put away.

I don't mind doing six loads of laundry in a day, as long as I don't have to fold it and put it all away. 

That's my laundry system and I'm sticking to it!  What about you?  What works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment