October 5, 2011

Finding Joy in Desolation {In the Word Wednesday}

Always being joyful.
Despite our circumstances.
Maybe even BECAUSE of our circumstances.
Only possible when our joy come from God.

Habakkuk 3:17-19
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.
The Sovereign Lord is my strength,
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer
he enables me to go on the heights.

When I read this I picture one lonely wanderer on an old farm.  There are no fruits or crops to be picked, the fields are desolate, the trees dead and broken.  The barn is full of cobwebs where the animals once stood.  This person has no food, no source of income, is all alone with not even an animal to comfort him. 
I picture Him just being left to die in this barren land that was once his thriving home (I'm reaching here, not trying to re-write God's word, just what's in my head).  Most of us would be sad, maybe angry, and depressed in this situation.  But nope.  Not Habakkuk.  His joy comes from God, his Savior.  He is rejoicing in the Lord!  (So, now I'm picturing the wanderer in bright clothing, which represents joy, in my head at least).  He knows that God is his source of strength, God will enable him to climb the mountain!

Amazing, isn't it.  A great reminder where our true joy comes from, not with things, health, happiness, people, but ONLY from God!

No comments:

Post a Comment