December 28, 2011

Lack of Planning {In the Word Wednesday} a day early

written by Tracie
I’ve seen this print numerous times on Pinterest.  It generally gives me little chuckle as I recall previous employers, clients, etc. who weren’t timely in preparing for their needs, which in turn meant they expected me to hand them the world, wrapped up pretty-like, in an undoable amount of time.

Anyone relate?  It’s easy to see this in light of others lack of planning.

But what about when it points to me?  Ouch!

God has laid these exact words on my heart lately in a very real and painful way.

When I’m rushing around the kitchen in the morning yelling asking my girls to get ready, get their book bags, their water bottles, brush their hair, brush teeth, shoes on. socks. jackets!  Oh! and you need a bag lunch today?  Oy!

God gently whispers these words, “Your lack of planning doesn’t make it an emergency on their part.”
“But God, I needed that extra 2 minutes on twitter, and I just had to check facebook to see what Sally Jo cooked for dinner last night, and what if I quickly answer 2 more emails?  Then I’ll get in the shower.”  And sure enough, guess where that finds me?  Yelling at my children for something that isn’t their fault.

If I had planned my time right and focused on what’s important {and social media it ain’t}, I’d be leading the girls, and in turn teaching them, to start their days in a peaceful and organized manner.

I get that it doesn’t always work out peaceful and organized.  Things happen that can’t be planned {like cleaning up pet puke or finding a newborn guinea pig … in my house at least!}.  The unexpected happens.  Life happens.  And sure, there’s a place for social media … in fact, you’ll find me tweeting this post so you can be encouraged by it.

It’s just that God’s telling me to be wiser with my time.  On the computer, and in general … so that my stresses, don’t end up being my children’s stresses.  My prayer is for them to remember a peaceful and {semi} organized home life that didn’t involve “hurry, hurry, let’s go, we’ve got to go! NOW!” as the motto.

Peace, like charity, begins at home.
~ Franklin D. Roosevelt

So you will go out with joy
and be led out in peace.
Isaiah 55:12a {NCV}

Those are much better words {and feelings} to teach my girls, don’t you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment