August 1, 2011

What manners need to make a comeback?

Which manners need to make a comeback?... {The readers digest version}

Readers Digest Facebook followers were asked to share the kind gestures they'd like to see more of - and more often.  Some of the answers follow:
*Children looking people in the eye when spoken to My kids and I are so guilty of this one.  It's so hard to force them to look someone in the eyes when we are out in public, they just do not want to and I do not want to argue with them in front of someoen.
*Covering your mouth when coughing. Yes please, I don't need to share all of your germs.  And please don't cover with your hand and then try to shake mine, that doesn't help anymore than you sneezing all over me.
*No cursing in public  This drives me nuts.  With no regard to my children, or myself.  I know I'm going to sound old here, but it especially bugs me when it's teenage kids.  I don't think they realize that instead of making them appear really really cool and make me want to be thier friend, they appear really really dumb and I want to hit them up side the head!
*A handshake with a proper greeting.  I typically follow the lead of the other person on this one.  Not sure why.
*Removing hats in restaurants and church.  This one doesn't typically bother me, although I do think in church it is an act of respect.
*Written thank you notes.  I'm so bad at this.  I try, but sometimes I get overwhelmed.  And really, it doesn't bother me if I don't receive one either.  Christmas cards, well, that's another story.  IF I'm going to receive one I would rather it be in the mail than on the computer.  I know that not everyone has time to do them every year and that is fine, but then don't send one.  (Note to self: start working on Christmas cards so I can send them out this year)
*Children calling people "Mr." or "Mrs.".  It's a small thing, but there is a lot of respect in it.  I rarely make my kids do this.  But I do think it shows a lot of respect.  I'm just so bad at it. 
*"Please", "Thank you", and fully covered buttocks.  Yes, please and thank you. (note, I think I'm ok on these ones)
*Apologizing face-to-face instead of on Facebook.  A facebook ANYTHING does not count!
*Chewing with your mouth closed!  This drives me nuts.  My kids do it all the time and I'm constantly reminding them to shut thier mouths!!!
*Excusing yourself to take a phone call.  No comment.

So, now I'm wondering, what manners do you think you don't see enough of, what are your toughts on these, or how do you teach these to your kids?

1 comment:

  1. Good list! A big one we are working on is, not to interrupt when someone else is talking, and if you really need something immediately, say "Excuse Me." Oh, and to knock on closed doors and wait for an answer, Grandma doesn't like being walked in on going to the bathroom. :)

    ReplyDelete