June 22, 2011

Instruction of the Lord {In the Word Wednesday}

Ephesians 6:4
Fathers do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

This is a verse that often echoes in my head.  I can be so critical sometimes that I know I exasperate (irritate or infuriate) my kids (like just now when I looked at my daughters outfit choice and rolled my eyes because I can't stand it). 

But, I'm even more convicted of the second part of that verse. 

Bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

I've been struggling with this a lot.  I think I've been placing more emphasis on conforming them to an external standard than teaching them to love the Lord. 

My goal should be that I raise my dear children to glorify God through their lives.
Not only to do good things, but to serve God through their lives.
Not only to be kind to others, but that we most resemble Jesus to others when we are kind.
Not only the habit of worshiping, but really loving God.
Not only to spend time in God's word, but to love God's word.  Love the truth because God is truth.
Not only to pray but to seek a relationship that really seeps into thier lives. 
Not only to tithe, but to do it with a gracious and loving heart because of all he has given us.

I know I'm not alone in my desire to teach my children to love the Lord, so I'm suggesting we pray for each other on this journey.

God, you have blessed us with these dear children.  You have entrusted us with the job of teaching them to love you. Sometimes it is so hard.  Please remind us that there is nothing more important in eternity.  You love us, you love these children adn want only the best for us all.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment